In our tour you plan and organize everything yourself. You choose what monasteries to visit and how long to stay in each one.
Question: Is it possible to visit Meteora, see the monasteries, and return to Athens all in one day? The answer is: A lot depends on what you want to get out of the visit. In Kalambaka you have 3 hours to drive quickly on the rocks and visit 2-3 monasteries at the maximum. We shall do whatever you decide.
If your visit to Greece is too short, this is your chance to visit Meteora.
Visit Meteora and realize why the first hermits chose this location to create their monastic community and seek to communicate with God. See the 4 monasteries and the 2 nunneries, and visit two of them. Learn about the everyday life of the monks, admire their architecture and gaze at the priceless relics and treasures of the monasteries, a cultural heritage to all Christian religions.
When you finish with your sightseeing return to Kalambaka, have a light lunch, and board the train for your return to Athens. Arrive in Athens at 22:45
* You collect your tickets from us and settle the account, at least a day before departure.
* Be at the LARISA railway station in Athens at least 30 minutes before the train departure.
* Find platform 8. Your train comes at 08:10 am. The difficult thing is to find your coach and seat.
* 08:20 – The train departs and following a scenic route it travels straight from Athens to Kalampaka(last stop).
* 13:30 – Arrive in Kalampaka and meet our English speaking driver outside the railway station.
* 13:45 – Drive to Meteora. Visit up to 3 monasteries. See old hermitages and cloisters in the caves.
CLICK here and see the monasteries that are open on your day, and make your plan.
* 16:45 – Return to Kalampaka. Stop at a local restaurant for a light meal (not included in the price).
* 17:30 – The train departs from Kalampaka and arrives in Athens (LARISA station) at +/- 22.45.
The price for the 3.30 hours private tour of Meteora includes your return B class train ticket and the taxi hire from the momntthatyou arrive until the moment that you tell the driver that you have seen enough and want to get back to kalambaka and have something to eat:
– 2 passengers: Train ticket (B class), 54.00 + 25.00 taxi hire = 79.00 € p.p.
– 3 passengers: Train ticket (B class), 54.00 + 20.00 taxi hire = 74.00 € p.p.
– 4 passengers: Train ticket (B class), 54.00 + 15.00 taxi hire = 69.00 € p.p.
Pay 54.00 € p.p. plus, the money for hiring the taxi, paid in cash to the driver in Kalampaka.
To secure your booking, please, read the terms and conditions, and, deposit 40.00 € p.p. in ….read more…
In our tour you are totally independent. You choose which monasteries to visit, how long to spend in every monastery visited, plus, you add a couple of stops to take photos, and have a light meal whenever you feel hungry.
Click and see our BEST SELLER 3 days/2 nights Meteora and Delphi, independent trip by train.
– Return B class, train ticket. Pay 12.00 euro, and upgrade the train ticket to A class (recommended).
Upon arrival and for 3 hours, visit up to 3 monasteries & places that a foreigner does not visit.
Visit hidden beauties & explore the area with a local, English speaking driver.
NOT INCLUDED in the price:
* No professional tour guide service is included. It’s you and the taxi driver.
* 3.00 euro per person, being the entrance ticket to each monastery, and
* Your lunch and drinks in the train and while you are in Kalampaka.
Options to visit
If you decide to spend more time in this unique area, there are packages organized for 2 or 3 days. During the extra day, join a Hiking Tour and explore the natural beauty, first hand. Follow the hiking guide and discover the trails that the first monks used centuries ago. Discover the geology of the region. Hiking down (always easier) on the well paved paths from the monastery of Grand Meteoron or the monastery of Varlaam all the way to the village of Kastraki and Kalambaka.
If you think that the hiking tour is a difficult exercise, join the 4 hour morning tour and learn more regarding the spirituality of Meteora. Discover their cultural wealth and have a personal experience of the second most important monastic community, after the Mount Athens, located in Chalkidiki, near Thessaloniki.
Last minute bookings are difficult to work out. Plan in advance and get the best seats in the train.
KSL13, Level 6 Contributor, TripAdvisor member since 2005, From USA
Kosta is an all service travel agent
I booked a tour to Meteora via train with Astoria travel at a significant discount from other agencies. Kosta also picked us up from the cruise port and took us to our Airbnb. He also gave us lots of advice about life in Greece. He knows so much! And he truly loves his job and he is proud of his country. I hope that lots of people use his services! I did not feel that he was exploiting tourist dollars, like most guys did. He is honest and reliable.
Travelling to Meteora by train is the most comfortable and efficient way. A smooth and scenic ride.